Congratulations to all newly engaged couples! Matrimony is the sacrament that celebrates the love of a man and a woman for each other. They promise to be faithful. They are ready to begin their family life.
Couples planning to be married in church should contact the Parish Office at 708-435-8912 at least 6 months in advance to give yourselves and the priest time to prepare for this important step in life.
- Marriage Preparation Classes -The Archdiocese of Chicago conducts marriage preparation (PreCana) classes. The classes are led by trained married couples. Engaged couples enjoy the benefit of live interaction with other couples as well as the comfort of having private conversations. PreCana programs are offered as one six-hour session or two three-hour sessions. Couples can choose between weekend and weekday evening options. Please click on this link to the Archdiocese Pre-Cana web site for additional information. Due to COVID-19, these classes can be attended via Zoom.
- Documents – Baptismal certificate/information, State marriage license, ‘Letter of Good Standing’ for priests outside of the parish who may conduct the service.
- Wedding Rehearsals - are generally scheduled the evening before the wedding and are limited to ONE HOUR.
- Music - The music selected for the wedding must be liturgically appropriate. Three months prior to your wedding, contact the Music Director to discuss selections. It is permissible to use an organist, cantor or other musician(s) of your choice. If your musician(s) would like to practice in the church before the wedding, contact the church office to schedule a practice time during church business hours. Music practice during the wedding rehearsal or immediately before the wedding is impractical.
- Photographers/Videographers - Discretion is required and activities must be limited to areas where the photographer/videographer will not be distracting to the wedding ceremony. Photographers/videographers are to remain in the body of the Church and not forward in the Sanctuary. Flash photos are permitted during the processional/recessional of the bridal party into/out of the church. No artificial lighting, including flash photography are permitted during the wedding ceremony.
- Aisle Runner - Due to safety reasons an aisle runner is unsafe and not permitted.
- Throwables - Rice, confetti, birdseed or other throwables may not be used inside or outside of the church. You are responsible for informing your guests of this policy.
- Flowers - Flowers may be placed near, but not on, the Altar of Sacrifice. Be aware of the times you have access to the church for the wedding so that whoever provides flowers can arrange for delivery time within the time allowed. We cannot be responsible for items delivered early. Only padded clamps (available from a florist) may be used to fasten items to the pews. Bows, ribbons or greens may be attached to the pew with elastic or ribbon. Tape or any adhesive is prohibited from use. It removes the finish from the church furniture. The role of flower girls and ring bearers is symbolic. A flower girl may not drop real or silk flower petals on the main aisle or anywhere in the church.